Saturday 1 March 2014

Drawing Tutorial

Having had my drawing tutorial I was recommended to explore Barbara Hepworth's Hospital Drawings and experiment with a microscopic camera as I wanted to capture intense detail of the human body to create a clinical element.

Barbara Hepworth,
Concentration of Hands II, 1948

Barbara Hepworth: The Hospital Drawings


These drawings were created in the late 1940s by Hepworth which I find inspiring, as I have only came across her well known sculptures. These drawings portray a clinical element of surgeons in theatre within Post-War Britain. These drawings were influenced due to Hepworth's daughter in theatre, she created a collection of drawings, which she was fascinated by the use of surgeons hands, the rhythmic atmosphere. I feel these pieces capture a strong clinical elements reflecting a sense of purity. The intricate detail is layered delicate to capture the different perspective and tones highlighting the intense sensitive subject. The colour pallet is limited creating a calm atmosphere, and almost a organic element, as I feel the tinge of blue create a sense of tranquillity reflecting a peaceful scenery or hand sanitizer.
I am going to experiment with the microscopic camera in future experimentations to capture intensity of detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment