Sunday 24 November 2013

Development

"Untitled" Ink on Paper, 
2013
This piece presents a photograph of my Brother and I when we were younger which simplistically creates a sense of nostalgia, which I created using the technique of dry point, influenced by both Lisa Kokin and Tracey Emin reflecting upon my personal life. I have used delicate mark making to create sensitive lines almost creating a sense of translucency suggestive of a nostalgia presence. I have used a aged colour pallet which reflects a sense of history, suggestive of time. I feel this piece reflects my intentions to explore my childhood, reflecting upon the life cycle which conveys my theme accumulate and disperse. 


"Untitled" Ink on Paper, Tissue Paper and Acrylic
2013
 Here I experimented layering onto different materials, which individually have there own aspects which conceptually portray my interest. The tissue paper itself is a delicate substance which is brittle and translucent suggestive of the afterlife and decay. The aged paper, is a personal object to myself as it is a gift from my Granddad as a child, I found myself engaged with this as a child which reflects my persona and upbringing. It highlights a sense of history. I have used the technique of dry point to print my image onto the piece which presents my brother and I. I find it interesting exploring the past, dissecting my memories arises a sense of nostalgia, I use materials applying and taking them away from my piece which could reflect the losses within my life, subjects which come and go. 

"Untitled" Ink, Tissue paper, Lace, Feather, Thread
2013
"Untitled" Detail 
2013

Here I have layered onto the delicate tissue paper itself, using dry point to print onto it. Although in the process I applied ink onto my plate and didn't remove the excess thoroughly therefore it created a distortion within the piece which I find interesting. The figures within the piece are subtle, presented in the surface almost hidden, reflecting the human memory, how memories are pushed back and forgotten. I have layered onto the piece using lace, which individually could replicate a memory, I've used it to create a sense of perspective, distracting the hidden focus. The feather within the piece represents the afterlife, a sense of decay, creating a essence of death within the piece.
"Untitled" Ink on Silk, Lace and Thread
2013
Here I have experimented layering onto silk, which the material itself is delicate and fragile suggestive of decay. The material is light which creates a sense of subtle energy within the piece, reflective of a presence. 



 "Untitled",  Detail
Manipulated Black and White 

2013

I wanted to experimented with a monochromatic atmosphere here, therefore I manipulated the photograph, I feel using this color pallet, emphasizes the spiritual atmosphere, subjective to a sense of negativity within the life cycle. I find this interesting but I want to reflect upon a balance between positive and negative therefore this might not work to convey my concept. 


"Untitled"
Ink on Silk, Tissue Paper, Poetry book, Thread
2013

"Untitled" Detail
2013

I created this subject by chance, as when I layered the materials into the printing machine, the press changed how I layered materials created a distorted effect which I find successful, as you don't know what could happen within life, this almost symbolizes opportunities and changes. I have layered onto silk as it is a delicate form which is almost translucent creating a sense of nostalgia reflecting upon the past. The distortion of the piece which has been placed together with stitch, is almost symbolic of the human memory how it changes  and ages within part. Only elements of the memory remains. I have layered into my work a poem which from my Granddads poetry which he gave to me when I was younger creating a sense of personal history conveying my concept. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment