Monday 4 November 2013

"What is Art?"

Within my Fine Art Course I am studying an important module called contextual and professional studies which allows open discussions of personal interests and opinions, which arises interesting debates. As our first assignment we worked in pairs to research and present our findings of the broad subject, "What is Art?"

Weeping Woman
Pablo Picasso

1937


I researched traditional artists to contemporary exploring a variety of different type of artists, painters in different eras, sculptors to grasp "what is art?", every artist or subject has a element of art within, therefore art cannot be defined. 

We researched into what other artists believe art is, "A piece of art is never a finished work. It answers a question which has been asked, and asks a new question" by Robert Engman which I found interesting as everything is questioned therefore is it possible everything is art?

"Art is not what you see, but what you make other see."
Edgar Degas

I personally believe within in my own practice art is an expression and allows me to communicate with an audience projecting a personal concept, as I believe every detail has a purpose and meaning. 

Everything and anything can be perceived as art, each individual has there own opinion of "what is art?",
Yet art cannot specifically be defined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment