Sunday 24 November 2013

Lino Cut

Lino cut 

Within the print making workshops, I have learnt how to create print using the technique of lino cut which is created by engraving into lino, you layer into the lino in different processes. By working in a process, you print your first layer using the lightest ink followed by the darkest. I had to create a guide line onto a piece of paper which I layered underneath whilst going through the press machine to portray a professional piece making sure the line were in place. 

Ink on Paper

This print presents my first layer, I have used a light colour in comparison with different palettes. This piece presents a personal memory of mine as it portrays my second birthday which relates to my theme accumulate and disperse reflecting upon time. The different layers could represent how the subject has changed over a duration of time. I tried to incorporate text within this piece taking quotes from my granddad's poetry which he gave to me as a child, emphasizing the personal essence within the piece. 

Ink on Paper

I had to clean my lino to prepare from my next layer, using the roller I inked onto the surface using a darker tone. I may have applied to much ink on the print, as the piece looks blotchy.

Ink on Paper

Here I experimented layering a light ink onto dark to see the outcome, it almost created a ghostly atmosphere, I wanted to try and capture flesh and tonal areas.

Ink on Paper

This is my final outcome of this process where I layered the darkest tone onto my print, it almost looks like a negative of a photograph. Although I found this technique interesting and therapeutic, I don't think this allows me to express myself using visual language to portray my concept. 




No comments:

Post a Comment