Tuesday 26 November 2013

Light and Calm

Within sculpture, we have moved on focusing on a assigned brief, which allows various ideas as I choose from 20 words, refining my ideas to depicting two keywords. 
In relation to my two selected themes, I choose light and calm, I believe this captures a essence beauty and surrealism, a strong intensity of light in relation to the "Afterlife", seeing the light. 
Having researched into moths, I learnt they represent a significance of death as they only live a short life expectancy. In my personal experience camping in this previous summer, I found it interesting how moths are attracted to the light creating a sense of awe, I wish I could of captured this but unfortunately I didn't have a camera, I felt this could replicate the beauty of seeing the light creating a peaceful atmosphere.  

"Untitled"
Mixed media (Feathers, Material, Thread)
2013
 This piece I was experimenting with drawing and over layering materials to create a relief emphasizing their presence. I have overlaid the subject onto material, which moths are attracted materials eating away at the fragments of the materials highlighting the nature within the piece, reflecting a sense of decay. I have placed feathers to signify a angelic and spiritual atmosphere, having took inspiration from Lisa Kokin. I have them stitched these elements in place holding the fragile pieces together almost representing a sense of history, the loose string is suggestive of energy almost presenting the future, theres life after death. The material itself could be sentimental to the audience creating a sense of nostalgia, perhaps a passed down precious object.



"Untitled"
 Mixed media (Feather, Thread)
2013
I have experimented taking the moth to a 3D form, placing its presence in a space and surrounding it to view how the audience would pursue the subject. I have used delicate materials to create the form, to suggest a sense of fragility reflecting the life cycle. Unintentionally taking this photograph I have captured an essence of light with illuminates the subject intensively creating a spiritual atmosphere. I presented this subject on a surface, which would have worked better been suspended as it would create a sense of energy emphasizing the concept. 

"Untitled"
MDF Wood
2013 
I wanted to experiment with various materials within different workshops I have been inducted to, to get wide range of results. I held the elements together using "Yuuhoo" Glue which is a strong substance, although this when its dried creates a textured almost translucent surface which I find interesting as it creates a dried fragile element. I find this experimented beneficial as I resulted in knowing I don't want to use this material as its too solid to work with when conveying a sensitive subject. 
"Untitled"
 Mixed Media (Feathers, Metal, Paper)
2013

I combined my successful materials together, and created a subject taking inspiration from my non-art research as I explored fly-fish, as they are delicate and detail subjects. They almost reflect death themselves, as they are deceptive capturing fishes. I took into consideration of being able to stand within this piece and presentation. Eva Hesse uses metal within her work to represent flesh, which creates a sense of realism within my piece highlighting the life cycle. I presented the subject laid on its back which gives the audience an impression of death. The strong intensity of light reflects my experience of feeling a element of awe symbolizing "seeing the light". 

"Untitled"
Mixed Media (Paper,Flour, Feathers, Coffee)
2013

Here I experimented with an abstract subject, layering different delicate materials to replicate the texture of a moth, I could have used more translucent elements as a moth is delicate and fragile. I used flour to capture the powdery subject which could be used to present their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment