Thursday 7 November 2013

Accumulate and Disperse

Within my assignment I am required to create a unique project based on my personal interpretation of accumulate and disperse. I am going to explore the themes in different areas, to start my project off I looked at Dispersion and accumulation within everyday life which are presented. 

Snail shell, Acrylic on Paper

Here I used a empty snail shell and crushed it, the imprint left remains of dirt within, as I placed glue to capture the elements. I found this non-traditional technique interesting and it highlights an element of the life cycle, the accumulation of experience through life and the dispersion as it passes.

Acrylic, Leaf, Thread on Paper

Here I was experimenting with objects and different materials from both inside and outside, to collaborate a variety of ideas. I found I could use a material with a pattern to leave an imprint which could reflect to a symbolic material creating a sense of history. Having been strongly influenced by Lisa Kokins work, I almost use stitching within my work to create a sense of time and decay, as the mark making is rough and broken. Although the intricate stitching almost pieces of an object together creating a new narrative, perhaps holding a memory together. 

Watercolour, Coffee, Leaf on Material

This material has a history within itself, a place it has been before, a journey, which I find interesting it could also relate to accumulation of historical memories and an dispersion of life gathering more knowledge through journey. I printed onto this material itself but the colour dispersed creating a sense of energy. I have stitched onto the piece to experiment with layering materials which creates a sense of depth almost engaging the audience as they feel the urge to feel. 


Watercolour, Dandelions remains on Paper

Here I pressed a dandelion onto the surface manipulating it with different materials, of which have a simplistic colour pallet which highlights a sense of history and time.  As a childhood memory, we'd blow a dandelion several times till it had no seeds left, this would signify what time it was, which could represent a symbol of time, history, memories referring to my theme accumulation and dispersion.

Image Transfer using Acetone

Here I experimented with image transfer, I used a combination of acetone firstly then acrylic as I found the acetone left a abstraction of the image using colour. This technique leaves a layer on top of the image, emphasizing a sense of space within the piece reflecting accumulation and disperse of space and time. 
The subject itself, could refer to an family tree, the accumulation of relationships and disperse of creating life. 

Coffee on Newsprint Paper

I found this piece interesting as I simplistically placed my cup of tea on top of piece of paper, leaving this subtle mark, the mark is organic and fluid suggestive of the subject. Coffee stains personally represent a sense of history to me, as I think of elder relatives, it creates a sense of harmony almost and sense of calmness. The marks overlap, which unintentionally could signify females and males, which is interesting as it refers to the subject of accumulation and disperse of life.

Charcoal on Newsprint Paper

Here I have simply captured the essence of detail of a flower by overlaying Newsprint Paper and using charcoal. The mark makings are delicate and brittle creating a sense of decay suggestive of the different seasons which reflects accumulation and disperse. Perhaps dispersion could represents the stages of the delicate petals breaking away. A Flower has a sense of meaning within, therefore people often present them in gesture of emotion.
Coffee on Tissue Paper

This piece I simply used to clean up a spillage, which I put effort into which could suggest a dispersion of energy and accumulation in everyday life through routines, hobbies, interests or even fears and hate.


Crayon on handmade Paper

Here I experimented with different prints, using a child like material; Crayon to capture the element of detail, this could represent a sense of nostalgia looking upon the past, childhood memories. Perhaps sentimental objects, blankets which have been passed down which could refer to accumulation and dispersion  

White Acrylic Transfer on Paper 

Here I have a more successful image transfer, which the photograph itself presents my mam when she was younger, highlighting a element of time, I find it interesting how the acrylic underneath still pushes back the image creating a sense of space highlighting the concept.

Overall having experimented with different areas of interest, I have noticed all my ideas have a correlation which bases within the life cycle, arising subjects of relationships, Childhood, Time, Spiritualism, Natural Materials (such as dust, mud and dirt), Birth and Deterioration. These areas of interest are figured in everyday life which is inspire me in different ways. I am going to explore more into depth with the subjects in order to experiment and develop further within my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment