Monday 4 November 2013

London




This photograph presents my trip to London dating from 23/10/13 to 25/10/13 with my Ba Fine Art course, which allowed me to collect primary research, and explore London's famous landmarks and cultural habitats. I found this experience inspiring visualizing the city for myself, exploring a variety of  famous galleries such as, The Saatchi, The National Portrait and The Tate. Sight seeing was intriguing, how others lived in such a busy surrounding. Traveling around in the Underground was exciting, it was almost surreal, everything was so fast.
I was fascinated by the most simplistic objects such as street signs, as it was a remembrance where I actually was. Being able to see Big Ben and The London Eye on a day to day basis was surreal , particularly on an evening the lights illuminates the environment creating a spiritual energy.



This photograph I took whilst walking over the Millennium bridge which I learnt was the exact bridge in Harry Potter, I find this endearing as people lock their lockets on the bridge, retaining a precious memory throwing away the key in the Thames where it flows away continuing a journey reliving new memories in the river.
I took this photograph at an off peak time in the Underground whilst waiting for the next tube, which are usually packed and chaotic. I found the undergrounds overwhelming at times as they made harsh noises from the movement of the track. 

Buckingham Palace




I found this quote on a billboard in the Underground, it is located in an public area thereby is presented to various audiences. This may inspire others, as it inspired me, I find it difficult to depict the meaning but its questioning the aspect of freedom.

On my first day in London, we visited a variety of galleries, The Tate Modern, Bankside Gallery and Jerwood Drawing Prize Exhibiton. This experience allowed me to explore different types of artists specializing with sculpture, painting, photography, and drawing for primary research, which was inspirational.
In the Tate Modern, Giacometti exhibited his drawings which were inspirational, seeing the piece in the flesh was exciting, he uses intricate and detailed mark making layering them to create a sense of perspective.
I came across an Italian artist called Jannis Kounellis in The Tate Modern, which I found interesting as he used wood and wool to create his sculpture, he almost uses the loose suspending elements to represent dripping paint which is expressive. 


Alberto Giacometti
Seated Man, 1949 

Jannis Kounellis
Untitled 1968


Following the next day, we visited several galleries; the Saatchi Gallery, the Serpentine Gallery and the Haywood Gallery which I have never visited before. I have always wanted to see these galleries as many artists I have researched have had an exhibition here. 
Exploring Saatchi Gallery I found an art named Peles Empire's digital print interesting as he laid each individual print onto one another creating a sense of perspective emphasizing space. 
Marisa Merz exhibited her work in the Serpentine gallery, which was all focused on her work which was interesting how the curators presented it. Merz is influenced by materials whether they are organic or inorganic exploring the contrasted distinctions.  I found the traditional technique of weaving and knitting inspirational, and the presentation of her suspensions inspiring. 
In the Haywood Gallery I found Ana Mendieta's exhibition "Traces" inspiring, as she used her human body form in the her photographs almost imprinting into the earth, leaving traces representing memories which is suggestive to a memorial. Mendieta experimented with various materials, natural forms which created a sense of tranquility and calmness. 



 Peles Empire 
Formation 1, 2013

Marisa Merz ,
Sepentine Gallery 

Ana Mendieta,
Traces 

On the final day we explored Trafalgar squares visiting the local galleries nearby and tourist attractions. We visited the National Gallery which was interesting as the paintings were very traditional and historic. Michael Landy "Saint Alive" exhibition was presented in the Gallery, which was strange as it was mechanical and dominating which symbolized elements of power and religious beliefs. This exhibition was different I found the concept and meaning within intriguing, this gave me the opportunity to experience something completely different. Also we visited a smaller private galleries in The Royal Opera Arcade called La Galleria Pall Mall and The Stephen Wiltshire Gallery.  



The Embrace of our Recollection
Chiasa Murakami 

This sculpture was exhibited in La Galleria Pall Mall, which I found inspirational the piece is a recollection of peoples lost memories, sentimental object and families from the Great East Japan Earthquake. The piece is made from destroyed pillars and materials which have been combined together. The stitching hold the materials together creating a sense of positivity within sensitive subject.

Throughout these past three days I have explored various artists, which have varied within difference which has been interesting from traditional to modern. I have benefited from this trip as I have explored the well know galleries and London's Culture itself.

1 comment: