Sunday 3 November 2013

Frieze, Tracey Emin


This photograph documents my first trip to "Frieze Art Fair" 18th October 2013 in London with my University, which was an overwhelming event know world wide where thousands of galleries are collaborated together in a intimidating gazebo. I found this experience almost surreal, as it was first time visiting London itself which is a large beautiful city. In Frieze the gazebo was compacted thoroughly of thousands of different artists and galleries, which was really exhausting but I found a variety of inspirational artists which specialized in different areas such as photography, print, sculpture and painting.


                                                           Tracey Emin, Frieze, 2013
                                                            Mixed media, Stictching


I particularly found it inspiring recognizing Tracey Emin's work and seeing her artwork in front of my persona. I have researched into her work before, which was exciting as Emin is a great inspiration. Emin often uses the techniques of stitching and traditional mono printing figurative subjects in a provocative element, creating a sense of negativity within her work. "You make me feel like nothing", I find this quote interesting as it arises sensitive subjects of emotions and betrayal emphasizing the negativity. The monochromatic colour pallet is dull and bland suggestive of sadness and loneliness. The mark makings are fine and frail, which replicates of the state of mind. The simplistic colour pallet compliments the surface emphasizing the space around the subject, almost making the figure invisible symbolizing figures emotions and state of mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment