Sunday 24 November 2013

Development

Having experimented with different materials, I decided to explore latex which is a delicate form, in which Lisa Kokin used to preserve found and personal objects which has inspired me. Therefore I have used latex to almost hold onto my memories, but also to represent the life cycle as the latex decays itself. Latex a flesh element which I find interesting as it creates a sense of realism within the piece. 


 I experiment layering text into the piece which is from my granddads poetry book, personalizing the piece interlinking my family line. I applied the latex with a paint brush which created uneven surface, therefore this piece is brittle and fragile suggestive of the life cycle. Although I found this difficult to handle, I find it conceptually and visually interesting.

Detail
This is a close up on the previous photograph which presents figurative subjects within the piece, this reflects a family photograph from when I was younger. This creates a sense of nostalgia within the piece, although the marks are fragile and delicate suggestive of sensitivity. This could reflect my Mother and Father's relationship how time has impacted on them, breaking away and distortion within the piece. 


This piece is subtle as the figures are fading away, suggestive of the human memory. I have layered broken text and a feather to represent sentimental values which are becoming decay and fragile suggestive of the life cycle  reflect accumulate and disperse. 

Front

 Back
 Detail

I found these piece interesting as I layered different surfaces using the dry point technique allowing me to incorporate text onto the piece which I took out from my Granddads Poetry book personalizing the piece. I find the fast and sketchy mark making as it creates a sense of energy, I have depicted certain areas in detail contrasting which created a sense of translucency.
Unintentionally I realized the text was reversed, therefore I took a photograph of the other side, which presented the photograph is the positive view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment