Sunday 2 February 2014

Leonardo Da Vinci

Studies of Embryos by Leonardo da Vinci (Pen over red chalk 1510-1513)

Studies of Embryos (4th month),
1510-1513, 12 x 8" (30.5 × 20 cm),
 Pen over red chalk,
Windsor, Royal Library.

Leonardo Da Vinci within his work has explored the anatomy of the body, in particular I found his studies of the foetus inspirational. Da Vinci created his studies in private notebooks dating from 1510-1512, which suggest they are personal to himself. He used both a traditional technique and medias to create his work, which I feel like it creates a sense of history, reflecting his time. The colour pallet is natural creating a sense of realism within the piece, he has used an ink wash to capture a essence of perspective which I feel could represent the amniotic fluid portraying an epitome of realism. 
Da Vinci was the first in history to portray the human foetus in the correct position.
I feel his work captures a sense of understanding, using perspective and tone to create a sense of realism. I found this artist inspiring as he is well known throughout history, which relates to my work as I am focusing on the human foetus. Da Vinci has used intricate lines which have been layered to highlight the complex subject. I find it interesting in the first subject, how he has highlighted the womb, which is positioned around the foetus reflecting a sense of protection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment