Thursday 12 December 2013

Annette Fernando

















Fernando is a drawing artist which I find inspiration, as she uses a depth of detail to create her figurative drawings. Fernando is currently studying BA Fine Art course at Central Saint Martins.

University of the Art London since 2012.Fernando at a young age has already presented her work in Jerwood Drawing prize Competition earlier this year, she has already created a piece and curated for a show in Tate Britain with other Artists and Students.

October 2013 

I first seen Fernandos work presented in the Jerwood Drawing Prize Gallery, where I was amazed by the quality and quantity of artists work in such a small building, I found myself inspired by the use layered simplistic marks which created intensity of detail.


“I catalogue my life through a series of film stills, utilising the movies’ protagonists to interpret autobiographical stories.  In the context of pre-existing female stereotypes as portrayed by a number of male directors, I question my own experiences. While my choice of films are often set in different time and different places, the similarities between these movies highlight that I am not the only woman to have experienced these emotions, nor will I be the last.”

I believe Fernando wanted to portray how movies in different times and places can relate to the audience impacting upon their emotions, which she felt almost comforting. 
She uses this and captures elements of extracts from movies and places them together in series of drawing which piece together to portray her personal biography. 


Scenes from a marriage, Biro
 2013

The mark making  is used in a sensitive way, as its delicate and intricate to highlight sensitive emotions within the piece. The marks have been layered in different areas creating tonal areas which highlights a perspective within the piece. Fernando has used a simplistic and dominant composition which highlights the audiences focus onto the character. 
Fernando has used traditional media which has a personal essence, using simplistically a biro pen which is an every day value suggestive that Fernando wanted to capture her thoughts quickly to express herself.  

"I don't know who I am"
This could be suggestive to portray the characters feeling within this extract or reflecting Fernandos impacted emotions.


Scenes from a Marriage, Ink
2013

"Sometimes I hate you for what you did to me", I feel this highlights intensive emotions of betrayal, capturing an essence of pain and sadness. This may incorporate Fernandos personal life, piecing this together to portray a form of expression. 
She has used ink in a sensitive element capturing a sense of light and flesh within the subject, suggestive that figure has been hurt and exploiting openly giving someone her trust. 



Life drawing classes from 1950’s, Camberwell School of Art, Charcoal and Ink, 2011

This is the earliest work I have been able to find which has been documented of Fernando, this portrays a sense of history as the figure within the subject look traditional.



No comments:

Post a Comment