Wednesday 11 December 2013

Development

Having explored through my relative inspirations of Fayum mummy portraits, I am going incorporate elements to signify an element of death, almost reflecting a spiritual energy which suggests the belief of an afterlife, a continuity of life. 

"Untitled" A2 
Tissue Paper on Watercolour Paper, Ribon, Thread, Acrylic, Coffee, Watercolors
2013

This piece portrays my exploration within road memorials as I felt this presents a celebration of life almost keeping the figure with us as the subject which are places create a positive energy, highlighting a sense of nostalgia. This captures a sense of sensitivity highlighting a sense of sadness and realism, as it touches upon a personal experience of loss.
The ribon is a prefound object I found, which I found intrguied as it was lost, and I preserved this subject, as it may contain sentimental values, therefore this a symbol of memories and celebration of life. I have stitched into the subject to highlight a complex subject, which also create a sense of decay and fragility. The materials has a sense of relief which is suggestive of spiritual energy as they create a presence.
I have used coffee to highlight a aged subject highlight a history, and how subject become faded as time passes. I have used a element of gold within this piece to interlink with the Fayum mummy portrait which suggestive of preciousness highlighting emotions.

"Untitled" A4
Watercolour on Silk and Thread
2013

I have explored using different materials, I find this material has a translucency highlight a presence within the subject suggestive of the afterlife. I have explored using a golden aged colour pallet to reflect a sense of importance highlighting sensitive emotions.  I have used organic media which has reflected a sense of realism, perhaps the media is representation of tears, suggestive of sadness and despair.

"Untitled" A5
Coffee on Silk, Lace, Tissue paper, Thread
2013

I have explored layers of materials, taking inspiration from the Fayum mummies, as they paint directly on rag of the mummies. I believe this allows me to suggest to the after life capturing an essence of decay. The materials all have element of fragility which highlights the life cycle. I have used a limited colour pallet within this piece, to reflect a sense of sadness. 
"Untitled" A5
Watercolour, Acrylic, Nail varnish on Wood
2013

I have explored painting onto wood here, taking inspiration from the Fayum mummies, although I didn't find this successful as I feel the wood creates a sense of stillness, creating a sense of negativity. I would like to capture a essence of translucency and movement within my practice to portray my personal concept. 




No comments:

Post a Comment