Sunday 8 December 2013

Development

Having explored through the nature of moths, to reflect a spiritual atmosphere, highlighting elements of the life cycle such as fragility and decay, I going to explore more translucent materials having been influenced by Karla Black and Eva Hesse. 

"Untitled"
 Cellophane, Flour, Latex, Thread, Paper 
2013

I have experimented layering cellophane which is a natural material in which we use in everyday life highlighting the sensitive subject, the material is almost a representation of life, how delicate and precious it is. I have layered latex which ages within its own substance, suggestive of decay, I have emphasized this by using thread which is a fragile material. I have layered flour to reflect a facade highlighting the space between the piece and the audience interacting with them as naturally, they try to look through the distraction. The flour substance I have used creates a sense of realism within the piece as moths have a powdery element. 

"Untitled" Detail
2013

I have layered a delicate moth into the piece to emphasize the element of death and decay within the piece, this has allowed me to experiment with a combination of materials developing my concept. 
"Untitled" Detail
2013

Having experimented with this piece, I am going explore suspending my work to emphasize a sense of movement within the piece which will reflect the moths life and suggestive of a presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment